Saturday 27 August 2011

End of week 1

well this week has certainly been interesting !!!

Had a surprising amount of food left over, vegetables and fat ration - so much so that i went back and rechecked the amounts. They are correct so i used my eggs and fat to make cakes for this week.
One that worked particularly well was the "weight of an egg" . Basically , weigh an egg in its shell ( for example mine was 2oz) and then use the corresponding amount of sugar, fat and flour. This made 6 fairy cakes which the children enjoyed.

Another surprising thing ... I have lost 3lbs in weight. Now this was not intended ( i need to lose some but wasn't thinking about it right now) but i was very pleased.
I am finding lunch time difficult. I think looking at my books that most people ate a hot meal at lunch and at dinner. I am also finding that the amount of time needed to prepare the food has increased , and also that you really need to be very good at planning. I sis better earlier in the week , when i prepared soup which lasted for lunch over a couple of days.

Yesterday's menu :

2 rashers of bacon ( last of the ration) with lots of mushrooms and potato cakes from left over mash. Bread and butter.

Potato and leek soup , bread and butter and fairy cake ( see above)

Beef tomatoes hollowed out with some macaroni pasta and cheese mixed together .

We would have had more cheese but my husband forgot and ate most of it by accident as a snack earlier in the week !!!

I went shopping today and found it was much easier to be restrained. I actually bough slightly less bacon (250g) , a small amount of breast of lamb ,1/2 a lamb shoulder, and 250g of sausages ( these were not on the ration). I will add to this 500g mince that l already have in the freezer.  Total weigh of meat about 1.6kg.

Am going to spend some time this weekend planning set meals this week to see if that is easier. 

No comments:

Post a Comment